Hello students, parents, and teachers,
If you are interested in learning more about opportunities for high school student to get an early start on college and prepare for a high demand career field, please join us on Tuesday, May 11th from 6:00pm – 7:15pm to learn about theEl Camino College K-14 Career Pathways After-School program.To Register go to: https://forms.gle/MyJ31gTJ8T8q7GgJ6
What is a K-14 Career Pathway?
K-14 Career Pathways provide high school students with an opportunity to get an early start on college and begin preparing for a career in a high demand industry. High school students take El Camino College classes through dual enrollment for FREE. K-14 Pathway classes lead to a college certificate, associate degree, and/or university transfer. Work-based learning is embedded in each pathway and includes job readiness digital badges, industry speakers, virtual workplace site visits, regional industry events, and/or, where available, internships &/or summer jobs. Students take their Pathway classes as a cohort with additional student supports such as a Pathway Student Success Coach, workshops, and activities designed to create a sense of community.
AFTER-SCHOOL K-14 Career Pathways. See attached class list & individual flyers to share with students.
- Cloud Computing
- Cybersecurity – starts in Summer!
- Automotive Technology (Electric/Hybrid Vehicles)
Who can join a K-14 Career Pathway program? Students who will be in the 11th & 12th grade in the Fall. The Auto Technology pathway will accept 10th graders with the Dean’s permission.
Does it cost anything?High School students can take Dual Enrollment college classes for FREE! If the pathway class requires a textbook you will need to purchase it (not all pathway classes require textbooks, some use open & free materials). Some school districts may pay for your textbook. Please check with your school principal or counselor to find out.
How will K-14 pathway classes be taught? The majority of the El Camino College K-14 pathway classes will be taught fully online. The Auto Technology pathway class will be taught in a Hybrid format with online lecture and a once a week in-person Lab at the El Camino College campus. Students enrolled Auto Tech pathway will have to provide their own transportation.
When do classes start?The majority of the K-14 career pathways start Fall semester beginning August 23rd. Except for the Cybersecurity pathway which starts in the Summer, second session July 6th – August 13th.
When should I apply?Students are strongly encouraged to apply by the Priority Deadline Friday, May 14th. Please know that submitting an application does not guarantee that a student will get a spot. SPACE IS LIMITED.Students will be put on a wait list if there is not enough space. Students who complete all three steps below will be informed via email by May 25th if they have been accepted. In case of a waiting list – 11th graders have priority admissions.
To apply for a K-14 Career Pathway program, students need to:
- STEP 1: Complete the online K-14 Career Pathways electronic application.
- STEP 2: Submit a Dual Enrollment form signed by the student & one parent or guardian to your HS counselor or Career Center Supervisor. For the form & instructions go to: https://www.elcamino.edu/admissions/student/highschool/dualenrollment-highschool.aspx
|Dual Enrollment in High School Partnership ClassesEl Camino College offers dual enrollment opportunities on 20 local high school campuses! These are college-level courses, which means students can earn both high school and college credit by completing a class.Enrollment fees along with textbooks/materials fees are waived for classes offered in partnership with your high school. …www.elcamino.edu|
- STEP 3: Complete the El Camino College online college application. Students who have taken a dual enrollment class in the previous Fall or Spring semesters DO NOT have to do this step. https://www.elcamino.edu/apply/
|Apply to El Camino CollegeStart My Application. El Camino College is now accepting applications online for the following terms: Winter, Spring, Summer 2021, Fall 2021. Applying for winter 2021 at this time will activate you for spring 2021 as well.www.elcamino.edu|
How do I get help to apply? Your high school counselor, Career Center supervisor or the El Camino College Outreach counselor assigned to your high school can help with the enrollment steps. Also, there are weekly Drop-In Help Sessions (no registration needed). Use the links below.
- Dual Enrollment Application form & instructions: https://www.elcamino.edu/admissions/student/highschool/dualenrollment.aspx
- Dual Enrollment Drop-In Help sessions are available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays at 4pm. No appointment necessary. Students can log on from the Dual Enrollment website for Online Events at: https://www.elcamino.edu/admissions/student/highschool/de-events.aspx
- El Camino CCApply online application assistance. The Warrior Welcome Center offers Live Chat & Zoom drop-in help sessions M-Th 8am-7pm & Fri 8am-4:30pm . Please go to: https://www.elcamino.edu/student/studentservices/welcomecenter/
For more information, please contact Dr. Coleen Maldonado, K-14 Career Pathways Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coleen Maldonado, Ed.DK-14 Career Pathways CoordinatorEl Camino College(562) 208-2154 email@example.com