My name is Ogechi Hubert and I would like to invite you to be a part of my project. There is an evident lack of people of color in environment fields. This dilemma staggers the exponential growth of America's innovation. It also leaves out a multitude of students who have the potential to change the world as we know it, who don't even have the opportunity to explore their interests in the environmental field.
That is why we have created Gravel to Green, a program designed to combat this problem by taking lower income students of color from local high schools into green spaces like California State Parks. We will provide buses to take high school students and their families into green spaces for a series of outdoor education events like day hikes and team building exercises.
We are leading hikes on the following dates:
- Sat, April 8 – Spring Break Family Hike (Malibu Creek State Park)
- Sat, May 13 – Mother’s Day Hike (Eaton Canyon)
- Sat, May 27 – Tidal Pools Hike (Abalone Cove)
- Sat, June 17 – Father’s Day Hike & Cleanup (Bolsa Chica)
Waiver forms and list of what to bring. Minors will need parent/guardian signature.
- Hiker Reminder in English (What to Bring)
- Hiker Reminder in Spanish (Que traer)
- Trip Permission Form (English with arrows) [PDF]
- Trip Permission Form (Spanish with arrows) [PDF]