This page will have the latest communication from Environmental Charter Schools regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) as well as general resources to help ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.


Health & Wellness Precautions

The cold and flu season is not over yet, and it is essential to take the proper health precautions. Remember to follow general guidelines for staying healthy during the cold and flu season. Make sure to practice everyday prevention, and please make sure to:

  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. 
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands. 
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick. 
  • Stay home when you are sick. Here is an excellent resource for families (Too Sick for School?)
  • Cover your cough. 
  • Sneeze into a tissue then throw the tissue away in the trash. Wash your hands afterward. 
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. 




COVID-19 County & State Education Updates

March 20, 2020

Supt. Debra Duardo recommends extending school closures until May 5 to help contain COVID-19

Los Angeles County Superintendent of Schools Debra Duardo today announced her recommendation to extend closure of all public schools until Tuesday, May 5, 2020, to help contain the spread of COVID-19.

Superintendent Duardo’s action follows new public health orders issued March 19 by Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles County officials instructing people to stay at home and prohibiting gatherings of more than 10 people.

The decision was made today in consultation with superintendents from across Los Angeles County and with State Superintendent Tony Thurmond.

“In the interest of public safety and the health of our children and most vulnerable community members, we are asking our 80 school districts to remain closed with students returning on May 5,” Duardo said.

“School closures will help prevent transmission of the coronavirus, which is everyone’s goal today. I commend our school district leaders and their staff, students and families for all that they are doing to ensure that learning continues and that vital nutrition and meal services are provided.”

During this time, only school and district personnel who perform essential functions such as feeding children, providing childcare or ensuring business continuity are required to come to work using Los Angeles County’s guidelines outlined in its “Safer at Home” Public Health Order. The Governor has made it clear that during these closures for this public emergency, all school district personnel will be paid.

The Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) recognizes the potential for schools to stay closed for the remainder of the academic year and will provide regular updates as the situation evolves. Extending a school closure is a local decision that will be made by each individual school district. When schools reopen, LACOE will provide guidance regarding required school maintenance and best ways to support staff, students and families with their return.

Schools operated by LACOE will likewise remain closed with students returning on Tuesday, May 5, 2020. They include the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts, International Polytechnic High School, county community schools, and Juvenile Court Schools located at the juvenile halls and camps.

Over the past two weeks, LACOE and school districts across the county have rapidly adapted to the emergency to provide remote learning, “grab-and-go” meal distribution, childcare during the school day and telecommuting.

Above all, LACOE continues to recommend that everyone practices prevention and hygiene protocols, including:

-If you are sick or mildly sick for any reason, stay home! Call your doctor if you are concerned and/or your symptoms worsen.
-Symptoms to watch for include a fever over 100 degrees; respiratory illness such as cough or difficulty breathing.
-Wash hands frequently for at least 20 seconds.
-Stay 6 feet or more away from strangers and those who are ill
-Stop shaking hands with others to reduce the spread of germs
-Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
-Sneeze and cough into a tissue or your sleeve; safely throw away used tissues

The Los Angeles County Office of Education, headquartered in Downey, is the nation’s largest regional education agency, providing a range of programs and services to support the region’s 80 K-12 school districts and two million preschool and school-age children.




Additional Resources

L.A. County’s Domestic Violence Services remain available. Shelters are open and accepting people. If you are a victim of domestic violence and need help, resources include: 

  • Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-978-3600, or
  • You can also dial 2-1-1 any time to get connected with services and support in your area or visit
  • Domestic violence legal services.
  • Dial 9-1-1. Law enforcement is still responding to domestic violence calls, and Emergency Protective Orders are still being issued.

The Violence Against Women Act allows certain non-citizens who are in abusive situations to petition without the assistance of the abusive spouse or parent, for lawful permanent residency. These persons may include:

  • The spouse of a US citizen or legal permanent resident when the abuser is the US citizen, legal resident spouse or a member of his/her family living in the home.
  • The child of a US citizen or legal permanent resident when the abuser is the parent/parent’s spouse or a family member of the parent or parent’s spouse living in the home.
  • The child of the battered spouse.
  • The parent of the battered child.

More information is available at the Department of Public Social Services website.  

  • How to report child abuse in LA County: The LA County Office of Child Protection is a policy-making body and does not handle any direct cases. All inquiries or reporting of specific cases should be made to the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS). To report child abuse in LA County, CA, please contact the Child Protection Hotline at 1-800-540-4000 or visit the DCFS website
  • If you have an immediate emergency, call 911 or your local police department; otherwise, call DFCS Child Protective Services to report child abuse and/or neglect.
  • For parents and caregivers: Find the Community-Based Organization offering preventive and support services in your Service Planning Area to call them directly, or call your Regional Office to get connected. You can also call (213) 336-2854 to speak to DCFS Preventive and Support Services staff.

COVID-19 Facts

ECS Updates


Internet & Technology

If you encounter any issues with a school-issued Chromebook or hotspot, please contact ECS HelpDesk at with “[School Name] Support” in the subject line

Healthy Meals for Families

Environmental Charter HS

Meals distribution at ECHS is Grab-and-Go (drive-through). every Monday-Friday 8:00am to 10:30am. Please enter through school parking lot for pick-up.

Week of April 20, 2020: Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 10:30am.

Week of April 27, 2020: Mon, Wed, and Fri, 8:30am to 11:00am

Environmental Charter Middle School – Gardena

ECMS-Gardena meal pick-up Monday: 7:45am to 9:00am for breakfast and 11:30am to 1:00pm for lunch.

Thursday: 7:45am to 9:00am for breakfast and 11:30am to 1:00pm for lunch. Please drive through the school parking lot for meals pick-up.

Environmental Charter Middle School – Inglewood

ECMS-Inglewood offers a Grab-and-Go meal pick-up on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00-11:00am. For more information, contact Ms. Ebony at 310-793-0157.

LA County Resources

  • Get help with food expenses. CalFresh is a Nutrition Assistance Program that can help people in low-income households purchase food by increasing their food-buying power. Apply here and see eligibility requirements here.
  • Find free food near you. County agencies and partners that provide free groceries and meals are expanding their services during COVID-19. Click here to see options and find food distribution sites near you. Some programs also provide delivery.
  • Get food delivery assistance. The County has launched a Critical Delivery Services program to deliver food and other vital items to adults age 60+ and individuals with disabilities who are unable to leave their homes due to COVID-19. Items must be prepaid and ready for pick-up. There is no cost to the client for delivery. For more information, click here or call 1-888-863-7411.
  • For assistance, or if you do not have access to the Internet, please dial 2-1-1. Multilingual operators are available to help members of the public find free food resources.